The CEO of Independence University sent a message to employees less than a week ago notifying them of an impending layoff. Current students of the university received letters at the end of July, notifying them of the closing of the school. If you are a current or past student of Independence University, you may now be eligible to receive Independence University loan forgiveness.
This guide will discuss the future of Independence University, recent news involving the school, and how to receive forgiveness for your student loan debt.
About Independence University
Independence University was established in 1978, as a school for distance learning and operated under the name California College of Health Sciences, before changing its name in 2005. The school is located in Salt Lake City, Utah, and operated under the parent institution Center for Excellence in Higher Education.
- Independence University was accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges and was known for helping working students further their education.
- The school became a non-profit school in 2012, and offered associate’s, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees in technology, business, graphic arts, and healthcare.
- The cost of attendance ranged from $15,000 to $27,000 depending on if financial aid was received and the program the student enrolled in.
- This online division of the Steven-Henager school had a 45% graduation rate and the majority of the school fell into the low-income threshold.
This section covered the background and history of Independence University, the programs offered and the cost to attend the school. The next section will go over the recent headlines involving Independence University, lawsuits they are involved in, and the future of the school.
Current Events Involving Independence University
Independence University and their parent company Center for Excellence in Higher Education received backlash over the last few days regarding decisions made by the school.
- Less than a week ago CEHC’s interim CEO Paul Gardner informed students that the school would be closing effective August 1, 2021.
- The school was placed on Heightened Cash Monitoring 2 by the Department of Education and was required to request reimbursements for student federal financial aid.
- The school was fined last year in Colorado for defrauding students and misappropriation of student financial aid, shortly thereafter, the owner Carl Barney disappeared.
- After being sued by the state of Colorado, the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges stripped the university of its accreditation.
This section briefly discussed some of the negative backlash and recent events that Independence University has been involved in. The next section will go over the Independence University loan forgiveness options available in response to the recent events and closure of the school.
Independence University Loan Forgiveness options
Officials of the school were advised to refrain from mentioning the loan forgiveness options available to students until the future of the school was determined. Shortly, after this announcement was made, the school announced it would be closing effective August 1, 2021, giving students an opportunity to receive loan forgiveness.
- Closed School Discharge– If you were enrolled in the school when it closed and were unable to finish your degree, you could be eligible for this discharge.
- Borrower’s Defense to Repayment– If you feel the school defrauded you through their shady business practices you can qualify for this discharge to cancel your student loans.
- Income Repayment plans– If you enroll in an income-driven repayment plan and make the necessary payments, the balance of your loan can be forgiven after 20-25 years.
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness– If you work for a qualified employer and make 120 on-time payments you can have the balance of your loan forgiven.
This section covered the different options that are now available for Independence University loan forgiveness and how you qualify for them. The final section will go over the main points that were discussed and inform you of what to do if you need assistance.
In this guide, you learned about the options that students have to receive Independence University loan forgiveness and the allegations against the school. You also learned about the recent school closure announcement and how it is being handled by the school and the Department of Education.
If you qualify for loan forgiveness, to help eliminate student loan debt and provide assistance with choosing the best option contact our office today. We have specialists in the area of student loan debt that will be happy to assist you and answer questions you may have.